A person can appoint someone they trust to act on their behalf in managing their affairs should they lose Mental Capacity. Similarly, the Court of Protection can appoint a Deputy to act on a person's behalf in managing their affairs when they have lost capacity in this respect and have not given someone else the legal authority to act on their behalf.

​The majority of applications to the Court of Protection involve the capacity to manage property and financial affairs.